Friday, May 23, 2014

It's Not Beautiful

Some crazies out there think that pregnancy and birth are beautiful. Late in my pregnancy, some friends would rub my belly and look longingly into the distance saying, "Oh I miss that". My general response was "EH?" Why would anybody miss feeling like a beached whale, unable to sleep or eat cheese or have a drink. They must be lying, surely. Don't get me started on the people who think birthing is beautiful. You lose all dignity. ALL DIGNITY! Before giving birth I was worried I might do number twos during labour but to be honest, I don't even know if I did and I really wouldn't have cared either way. I have no idea what else came out when I pushed my baby girl out. I don't plan on asking those present either.

My honest experience was that pregnancy sucked and giving birth sucked a whole lot more. I am not trying to scare soon to be mothers, just give my honest experience. I don't want to sugarcoat it. This certainly won't be everybody's experience, but it is all I have to go by.

Oh, and I have a high pain threshold. I run ultra marathons (albeit slowly). I ran on a fractured foot for months before I even realised that it hurt a bit and another few months before I decided it hurt enough to do something about. Labour was far more painful that the toughest ultra I have ever done. There were no 'walk breaks', no check points, no pacers,no DNF option. The result was pretty tops though, and I plan on doing it all over again in a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment